Wednesday, January 13, 2010

THRESHOLD TEST-OUCH!

With the new racing season looming on the horizon, I decided it's time to get a little more serious about my training. I've been doing some riding for the last few weeks, but nothing really serious or structured, just putting in some easy miles. I think it's only 13 weeks until the Montana Roubaix in Missoula, and I want to do what I can to be ready to race by then. The Roubaix is always a tough race. Everyone has been training hard(unless you ask, then no one has been on their bike for weeks, maybe months) and they're itchin to test their fitness. The course is challenging, and the weather is always a question at that time of the spring. GAS was a dominate force in the race last year, taking 1st and 2nd overall, and we will definitely do what we can to repeat that this year. The Freight Train is already rolling. Flurry Curry is coming off a crazy good 'cross season and will be flying. Hardman Lussier is keeping fit climbing ice and skiing, and will probably not even look at his bike (other than his commuter, of course) between know and April, yet he'll still be killing it. New dad Sebastion is probably chasing little Willie around non-stop, but I'm guessing he'll find time to squeeze in some quality training, so he can be ready to ride away with the race if the opportunity presents itself. Tomas also has kids to chase around to keep him in shape, that is when he's not chasing or leading Alex up some crazy ice climb. He, as well as Jason D. and the rest of the GAS crew, will be ready to race for the win, or support the team goals. We may even have a surprise or two up our sleeves this year, time will tell. 13 weeks seems so far away at times, like when I'm riding the trainer and wondering why, but it'll be race day before we know it. I, for one, am excited. I heard from a reliable source that Sam Krieg was planning on racing the Roubaix this year. When I heard that I told my wife I wasn't worried about it and my new moto is " I'm not afraid of Sam Krieg." Then, I ran downstairs and put in an extra two hours on the trainer! (OK, I'm a little afraid)

Part of being more serious with the training is testing. I did a threshold test last Sunday, and boy did it hurt. I train with power, so the purpose of the test is to determine my functional threshold power (FTP). I then use the FTP to determine different training zones. The different training zones are used to set the intensity level of each and every ride I do. The intensity at which you train helps determine the adaptions that take place in the body as a result of the training. The adaptions that take place in the body are what leads to you being fit, or not. Once you know more about what happens within the body as a result of the training you do, you can train smarter, and get where your going (achieve your goals) faster. More on this later. So, back to the test. The test I choose to do is hard. But, I like it for several reasons. It is repeatable, it can be done alone, (although having a coach or another rider there to offer advice and motivation can be helpful), and the numbers don't lie. There is no human judgement involved. Some tests may be physically easier, but they rely on a coach or the test administrator to determine threshold based on watching breathing patterns or by having the tester to give out perceived exertion numbers. These tests can be good if both the coach and rider are experienced enough to give accurate responses, but sometimes this is not the case. My test simply relys on your legs to push the pedals, and a power meter to record the data. There is a specific test protocol that I go through, but the FTP is based on a twenty minute time trial. You go as hard as you can for twenty minutes, and if you do it right, it hurts. Well, I must have done it right, because it hurt. I felt like quitting after about 5 minutes, but stuck it out and found my rythme. I felt better in the second half, but it still hurt. I actually threw up when the twenty minutes ended and I started to soft pedal. Wow, I haven't done that for a long time. That sets the bar kinda high, now whenever I do a test, if I don't throw up I won't think I went hard enough. Oh well, I'm just glad it's over and I don't have to do it again for a while.

Throwing up was the bad news. The good news is that the FTP number is higher now then it was mid February last season. So, If I can continue to neglect my job (which I plan to do) and get some good, solid training in over the next couple months, I should be ready to go wheel to wheel with Sam Krieg in April, at least for the first lap or so!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, lets rip his legs off!!!! brian f

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be glad to help you rip his legs off, him and anyone else that dare show up!

    ReplyDelete